August 20, 2011

Ni Hao from China!

After a marathon of flights, we've arrived in Chengdu. All the flights went smoothly and we were able to navigate the Beijing airport without any problems. Everytime we had a question, we would look around for someone to ask and lo and behold standing right next to us would be an Information Center. :) God is good! Nothing to noteworthy about any of the flights. Andrew, you would have been bummed because our international flight didn't have the personal TV's in the headrests, so no video games or movie choices. We just watched the movies that they put on the big TVs for everyone to see. I watched Water for Elephants and it was pretty good. Tried to sleep, but not so great. Our seats were right next to the kitchen, so lot of movement up and down the aisle. The flight was over booked so they tried to get people to give up their seats and fly much later, maybe if we weren't going on one of the most important trips of our lives. lol! Eventually people volunteered and so you can imagine how full the flight was - every seat taken. The crew was really nice and helpful, no ice cream this time though. ;) The flight went up over Canada and came back down around over by Alaska/Russia. So we didn't get to see the polar ice cap this time. Those details are more for Andrew then everyone else. lol! So, anyway...we are in the hotel room. It is very nice and Susie said she would have them send up a crib for Mason on Monday. She said he would still be sleeping in a crib at the orphanage. We really enjoyed meeting our guide, Susie. She is wonderful! We arrived to the Dynasty hotel around 11pm and discussed already plans for tomorrow. Susie bought us 2 big bottles of water and gave them to us when we checked-in so that we didn't have to worry about trying to find something open at this time of night. Little things like that are such a blessing when you travel so far and are so tired. :) It looks like are plans for tomorrow will include discovering the culturally renown products from this province. She happily agreed to escort us to see the famed Embrodiery/Brocade factory which we've heard is equisite artwork using thread all done by hand. Then, we are going to experience our first hot pot restaurant. We told her "not too spicy" and she smiled. Can't wait! She also suggested we experience the Sichuan Opera in the evening. I've read about the amazing mask changing/face changing and told her I would love to go. Before she left, she gave us directions from our hotel to all of the American chain restaurants that are near us - far different from Guiyang, there are so many near us and within in easy walking distance. We are going to explore the city on Monday morning. The one change in plans is that we won't meet George Mason until Monday afternoon instead of Monday morning. There are 2 other families with different agencies that have morning appointments so they changed ours to 2pm. That will give us plenty of time to charge our cameras. :) Another praise, we were able to check our 3 bags on all the flights and because we packed so light, it has been a breeze to travel. I'm so, so thankful we decided to pack light this time. Even Susie commented on our luggage. "Only these 3 small bags?" I guess packing groceries into bags at Target has trained me well. I think my packing abilities are well above par! lol! Really, the only hiccup in the travel that I can think of is that I brushed my teeth in the Beijing Airport. It's good in that my mouth tasted far more fresher, but bad because I totally spaced the whole "not using water from the tap in China" and well, I guess we shall see what happens. I'm not too worried - I didn't drink it, just brushed with it. Praying that's okay. :) So, we are ready for some sleep and both excited about our adventures tomorrow! Praying for George Mason and for a calmness and peace to rule in my mind and spirit. Truly we have felt the LORD's presence with us!

Goodnight from China Andrew, Hollyn, & Jessa Li! We love you and are praying you are having a fun time with Mamaw & Papaw! Tall to you soon!


Photobucket

4 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

I'm so glad you made it, that you can understand your guide and that you can get to American food!!! :)

La Dolce Vita: The Sweet Life said...

Following along, and so excited for you! Our daughter is from Chengdu, and were there this time last year. OUr guide was Susie as well. Are you using CWTS?

We LOVED Chengdu!

Amy said...

Yea!!! You guys are there!!! That is great news! I can't believe you are so close to getting George Mason!!! I can't wait to see him in your arms! Are you getting him at the orphanage or a local office? I heard from my China coordinator and Hannah has never been in foster care! She has been in a HTS program that has provided her with a dedicated nanny since she was teeny tiny. I'm so glad to get some answers! Praying for you and following your journey here in Texas! Blessings to you all!

Theresa said...

Thank you for taking the time to write. Your flight comments reminded me of a time Perry and I flew (I think to Indonesia), and we were so excited to have Hagendas (sp) ice cream. We sat next to a nice German woman who thought we were a little too thrilled about it. Praying that you and Dave will get plenty of rest and prayer support so you are as ready as can be for Monday afternoon (marked off on my calendar...nothing else to do that day/night but to pray!). Give each other a big hug from everyone back here. We are on your side and will be holding your arms up during the battle when it feels like you are too weary. Trusting in God to give you the experience that all of you need! Can't wait to hear more.