July 2, 2011

By George!

I think we've got it! I guess that's what we were thinking the day God gave us our new son's name. :) Since revealing our son's name, we have had all sorts of questions about it. It isn't a name you hear too often these days - well, unless your George Foreman, then I guess you hear it all day long. lol! But, quite a few folks have wondered about how we came up with his name and what the significance is behind it. We've also had quite a few questions about what we are going to call him - both names? just George? just Mason? Right now we are calling him George Mason some days and just Mason other days, but for some reason just George by itself doesn't seem to be one of the options. Not that it would be a bad thing - just doesn't come out that way. It's been "George Mason" or "Mason". So I guess that sorta answers that. :)

As far as "Why George???" Well, it all was decided so quickly that there was very little time for debate. The kids were all piled on our bed listening to David and I chat about the possibilities of adopting again {we hadn't yet shared with them George Mason's photo because we were waiting on PA from China first}. Most adoption agencies that advocate for waiting children give the child a "name" in order to track their file and information. The name our agency had given our son was "Mason". I liked that name and earlier that day I had written it down on a list of names to consider. Another name on that list was George. My father's first name is George and my great-grandfather's name was George, and as we had already shared my husband's family names with our other two sons, I thought it would be wonderful to give our next son a name from my father's side. Also, at the time, I had just begun to read the biography of George Mueller a giant of faith whose life of prayer brought about amazing miracles to support thousands of orphans in England. Men like George Mueller are few and far between - who bring their requests to God alone and need only trust that He will answer as He promised. Faith that doesn't waiver and faces "set like flint" that God will provide - every. single. need. Yes, George was definitely a contender, but it has always seemed like a really BIG name for such a little boy. :) Maybe that's why my Dad ended up being called by his middle name - Stan. Whatever the case, I like the name George. And when we asked Jessa what she thought her new brother's name should be, without hesitation she smiled and said, "GEORGE!" I looked at David in awe. How did she...when did she hear...how could she know...

No one. Not even David knew that I had made a list of names and so I explained to him that Jessa mysteriously just mentioned one of the names - the other one was Mason. David smiled and said "George Mason. I like it! He is one of my favorite "unknown" founding fathers." Wow! God was working in all of hearts at the very same time. And could it be a coincidence that David was teaching on George Mason the very next day? Or that a student spoke up during the lesson and said, "I think if you have another son, you should name him George Mason because you sure like this guy." No not a coincidence - a God Incident! Confirmation that is undeniable - George Mason. A very good name!

And I like even more the men of faith who carry that name! So if I was looking for inspiration, I didn't have to look too far to find men who I wanted my son to be named after:


 George Stanley - my father. one of the hardest working men I know whose determination, perseverance, success, leadership, and values I would be blessed to see emulated in my children. He is a loving Papaw to all of my children and gives sacrificially to our entire family. Seeking God first in all he seeks to accomplishment.

George Mueller -"was living proof that God can be known intimately, that He is a faithful companion, and that prayer yields miraculous results. His compassionate concern for the orphans in his hometown of Bristol, England, shaped decades of missionary and social endeavors throughout the world. With barely enough food or money to take care of his own family, Mueller ultimately served and loved more than ten thousand orphan children. When asked the secret of his service, Muller replied, "There was a day when I died, utterly died; died to George Muller...died to the world...and since then I have studied only to show myself approved unto God."

George Mason - "A significant figure during the years encompassing the American Revolution. He was a close friend and neighbor of George Washington. A fervent Christian, Mason was active in church life. He took a firm stand against slavery, drafting the Non-Importation Association and the Resolves. These resolves are regarded as one of the best expositions regarding the points of issue between the colonies and Great Britain of that period. In regard to slavery, it stated the following: ...That during our present difficulties and distress, no slaves ought to be imported into any of the British Colonies on this continent; and we take this opportunity of declaring our most earnest wishes to see an entire stop forever put to such a wicked, cruel and unnatural trade." He was called "The Master Builder of the Constitution" by James Madison. As a member of the Virginia Convention, it was George Mason who formulated the following ideals: Liberty, Freedom, and Equality.The first ten amendments to the Constitution are practically his and may be found in the Virginia Bill of Rights. The reason he would not sign the Constitution is that it did not include his views on ending slavery. In his last will and testament, George Mason clearly declared his faith in Christ, "My soul, I resign into the hands of my Almighty Creator, whose tender mercies are over all His works, who hateth nothing that He hath made and to the Justice and Wisdom of whose dispensation I willingly and cheerfully submit, humbly hoping from His unbounded mercy and benevolence, through the merits of my blessed Savior, a remission of my sins."

George Washington - The first President of the United States, choosing to entering into his office with his hand on his own Bible and who kissed the open book and said, "So help me God," thus starting a Christian tradition that has continued to this day. He was a Godly man who knew the source of his strength and provision, calling out to God for His help at Valley Forge. Whose Christian character led volunteer armies to victory, and became the foundation of our nation.

And then there's George Washington Carver, George Bush, George W. Bush, George Orwell, Gen. George S. Patton, George Gershwin, George Lucas, and hundreds of others who have made the name "George" proud! And of course, I can't forget what the girls like to call their little brother...

Curious George - the cutest and most curious monkey in the world! :)


Yes, George. George Mason. It's a very good name!



Photobucket

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I cannot read a single post without crying. Love all that you are including us in. Thank you!

quilt'n-mama said...

I love it! Names have always been of significance to us as well so deciding on our sweet girls name we thought would not be easy. It turned out to be so easy and an amazing story as well.

I love the name George Mason and all the meaning to go with it.

When do you think you will head to China? Maybe we might meet up?!?!

gayly

Anonymous said...

Love the name and your explanation of it, Shelly. And what a sweet photo of your dad!!!

Lynne H