November 21, 2010

Great Expectations


Some adoptive moms have lovingly referred to this part of the waiting as a "paper pregnancy" because of all the paperwork we have to do in order to "birth" our child. Well, I don't think I could rightfully compare the two because I've actually gone through hard physical pregnancies. And honestly, I've never felt better during this "pregnancy". lol!  Still, there is definitely a special expectancy that happens while we wait to adopt our children into our family. During the waiting, God miraculously begins to grow our hearts and expand our dreams with great love for the child we wait to embrace. And, as we wait, we pray with great hope knowing God has already planned out all of the details, each of the steps in this journey, and there is great comfort in relying on His strength and power to equip us. We also wait with great expectancy! Pouring over God's attributes today, there is such revelation in His word. Knowing He is the God who saves us. He is worthy of all our praises. He is faithful, loving, forgiving, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-present. There is nothing in my future that His hands have not planned. Nothing in my past that He can not forgive. Nothing in my now that He is not fully aware of and using to prepare me for His will. When the doubts and fears attempt to overthrow what it is that I know to be true of my God, there is nothing left to do, but to go to His word and remind myself of all that -  He is.

He is ALL-POWERFUL:
I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. Job 42:2
I am the LORD the GOD of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with GOD all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

He is FAITHFUL to keep His PROMISES:


Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to GOD, being fully persuaded that GOD had power to do what he had promised. Romans 4:20
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23
Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21
The LORD will fulfill His purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever - do not abandon the works of your hands. Psalm 138:8

He is UNCHANGING:
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless; he has blessed, and I cannot change it. Numbers 23:19-20
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

He is OUR FOUNDATION:
I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for a man to direct his steps. Jeremiah 10:23

If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. Psalm 37:23-24

He is GLORIFIED through US:
He has chosen us to do His will so that through us His name is glorified.
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:11-12

But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth. Exodus 9:16

He is ALWAYS WITH US:


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

So, yes. I guess in one way, I am expecting.

In fact, I have GREAT EXPECTATIONS!

I'm expecting God to show up in miraculous ways throughout this entire journey of faith. I'm waiting on Him to direct our steps. When the doubts of others try to overtake what I know is God's truth, I'm expecting Him to prove Himself. No more trying to convince those who do not have the faith to believe. No more trying to persuade them to see God's ways. I'm slowly, often times too slowly for my own good, learning that this is not what He has asked of me.

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17
Those who do not have the faith enough to believe God for this journey will not suddenly change their hearts and believe because I've made a great argument for believing God. God doesn't need my pitiful "two cents" to add to anything that His very Word already perfectly supports and explains more adequately than anything I could try to say. Those that do not believe must search the Scriptures on their own to find out what His will is for them. How we are all called to care for the "orphans and widows in their distress."

I'm deeply saddened to know those who are closet to me do not trust God's plans for my life. The concern is out of love, and yet, God's love is all that should matter to any of us. He loves me. He loves George Mason. His love through me allows my love to be complete and lacking nothing.

Sometimes I think God must shake his head in sorrow to see that we as Christians can have faith to believe that God can resurrect us from our graves, but we do not grant Him the audience to trust Him to provide for our daily lives. We believe that He can raise a dead man. But, we do not see how he can raise the money to bring home a beloved child? We believe that He can create EVERYTHING that we see. But, we do not believe that He can create a family through adoption? We do not believe that He can provide for that family? We do not believe that He can direct our paths? We do not believe that He can put bread on our tables? A roof over us? A bed to sleep on? A plane ticket to China? An orphanage donation? Fees for paperwork? What little faith we have indeed!

This journey of faith for David and I is stretching us to believe Him for all that we do not have. That belief is finding its roots in God's Word and in the story of two amazing Christians who did BELIEVE Him. For EVERYTHING. George Mueller and Gladys Aylward. Oh that our journey to George Mason might be filled with even half their faith! And, Oh the power, dear friends, that we would see if we would but allow Him to work in us and through us. Just to give Him the opportunity to miraculously grant every provision. Just to believe Him first. Not by our manipulating others or striving in our own might, but by simply bringing every. single. request. before Him and laying them all at His feet. Praying, and Watching, and Waiting. Expecting Him!

Expecting God to provide. Expecting God to direct. Expecting God to heal. Expecting God to sustain. Expecting God to deliver. Expecting God to fulfill. Expecting God to complete. Expecting God to unite. Expecting God to forgive. Expecting God to protect. Expecting God to overcome.
Expecting God to reveal. Expecting God to be all that - He is.

He is looking for believers who actually BELIEVE Him. He doesn't just want our lip service, he wants our heart's service.

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.  2 Chronicles 16:9a

He is waiting on us. Waiting on us to come to Him, with open hearts, hands outstretched, so that the God of the Universe who created each of us and gave us our lives: the past, present, and future, can meet our needs.

On bended knees, with heart held high, you'll find me.
Praying...with Great Expectations!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Anita said...

Shelly...we are right there with ya....believing our Lord with Great Expectations for all that we need while supplying all for Kaleb's adoption, too!! Love the fact that we are on this journey together to our sons! HUGS!