Boy meets dog...sort of.
fun in the swing
giggles galore
helping him up the slide stairs
"please Mama, enough with the camera already." lol!
exploring the tunnels
brotherly love
watching her baby brother play...hmm, maybe he'll let me play too?
smiley girl - happy that he is letting her near him
playing together - she's learning to have patience. :)
AJ woke up just in time to go on a walk with Mason and I through the neighborhood. It was a quiet and peaceful walk. With the holiday morning, I guess everyone decided to stay tucked in bed, sleeping in, and surely thankful for a morning off of work. Can't believe the fall weather this morning, with temps in the low 60's, we are already wearing sweatshirts and long pants. I'm sure summer weather will return, but today it was really chilly. As I pushed the stroller, Mason kept turning around and smiling at me. He loves to be outside, and despite the chill in the air, he enjoyed the long walk.
We went about 2 miles weaving through the various neighborhoods that are all connected together before we stopped at a little park. He was a little unsure of all the mulch, but soon began exploring the slides and the bridges with his big brother's help. It was so sweet watching AJ helping and encouraging him. He LOVED the swing and was giggling and smiling. Cute! He likes to repeat activities over and over again as though he is sealing in his mind how to maneuver obstacles. I think he went up and over the little bridge at least 10 times before deciding to try something new. Each time he reached up to hold AJ's hand to help him up the bridge. Still a little wobbly on his feet, he falls often but he doesn't stay down for long. lol! He picks himself back up and is off and running again!
We walked back home and he had scrambled eggs for breakfast. He really loves eggs - of all kinds! Scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, sunny-side up, steamed, stir-fried...you name it, he'll eat it. :) We can tell he hasn't tried too many foods. His diet at the orphanage consisted of bottles and congee. Perhaps some fruit, but they told us he doesn't really like it. We've introduced him to a lot of new foods already. His favorites are bananas, green beans, and pretty much an carb. :) Each new food, new texture takes some getting used too. He's spit out a fair share of first bites, but after some encouraging and a little bribing with Gerber's Yogurt Melts, we've been able to get him to try it again and he decides it is tolerable. He's able to feed himself little bites using his fingers, but for the most part we are feeding him.
He is sleeping really well in his crib - through the night and also for naptime, although he wants us to lay down with him for naptime. We put his crib in our room and it is working out really well. So far no night terrors either - I think he is also trying to adjust to jet lag. When he gets tired, he pulls down his sleeve and sucks his thumb while rubbing his fingers on the end of his sleeve. It is adorable!
Soon we'll have him evaluated for developmental needs. I think he will catch up very fast! He is super bright and has already learned two signs (more and all done). I love to hear his little voice. It is so sweet. I'm teaching him to say "up" and "Mama". So far he is just saying "up". He wasn't even trying to say words in China, so hearing him say "up" and seeing him smile really big when I say "good boy" is too precious for words! He also loves to imitate me. He puts a toy on his head and says "aaaa-ooo" which is what I was doing in China to make him laugh. Saying "achoo" and then letting the toy fall of my head and into my hands. He loves that game. :)
So far the only thing we are really having troubles with is our dog. Of all dogs, he is the calmest I've met. He doesn't jump up on us and rarely barks. Mason just isn't sure about animals in general, so he is having a hard time adjusting to Pippin. He is curious and keeps pointing at him and saying "who?" and we repeat the word for dog over and over again. We are taking baby steps and slowly introducing him to our dog. Sadly, Pippin's spent a lot of time in his kennel, but right now, I don't want to overwhelm Mason. Praying in time that he will see how soft and nice Pippin is - I'm sure it won't take that long. Happily, Pippin seems to understand Mason's fear, and he keeps his distance and is obeying wonderfully in moving away from Mason when we tell him too. Have a told you how much I love our dog? Can't believe how much I've missed him! He is the sweetest! :)
The girls decided to be super-heroes today, after all, we can't have too many of those. heh. Hollyn was "Super Girl" and she wore her outfit most of the day. Mason isn't too sure about her yet. Her high-energy and smothering might have a little to do with his standoffish behavior. :) She means well though. She would love to cuddle him close if he would let her. :) He isn't too sure about AJ or Jessa yet either. He lets them play near him, but really doesn't want anyone but Momma or Daddy to touch him.
So I wouldn't say life is a walk in the park just yet, but it is miles apart from where we thought we would be these first days home. George Mason is sleeping - which is always good, he is eating new things, and he is allowing both Mama and Daddy to love on him- which is wonderful. But, he has moments of grief, times when our inability to communicate ends in temper tantrums, and a lot of tears about the dog and others touching him or trying to hold him, he's unsure of many new things, and is learning a little at a time to trust us with his heart.
We've been so proud of the kiddos through all of this adjusting. They love him to pieces and I think it will only be a few more days until the feeling is mutual. Each of them in their very own way has welcomed Mason home. AJ with his brotherly love and fun-loving ways. Hollyn with her silliness and happy heart. And Jessa, showing us her sensitive touch and compassion. She gives him lots of space and plays with his toys on his terms. Some of the sweetest moments have been watching her pat his back when he is upset, gently rubbing his head while he plays, and taking his photo with her pretend camera. God has answered so many prayers - I can't think of a more beautiful beginning, and for that, I am so very thankful.


No comments:
Post a Comment