November 10, 2010

The Dream Giver


Not by accident, I picked up this book over the summer. As it had collected dust on our bookshelves for over a year, something inside me decided to wipe it clean and puruse through the first several chapters to see what I would find. Astonished to discover a parable of sorts unfold equal to the imagination of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, this new allegory told of a young man, Ordinary, who had been given a dream by The Dream Giver {God} and was setting out on a perilous journey to make that dream come true. As Ordinary dares to leave behind the Land of Familiar and break out of his Comfort Zone, I found myself eagerly cheering for him to continue his pursuit all the while finding myself more and more within the pages of this book. As often is the case with dreams, there are those who are far too eager to tie your ankles with lead balloons just in case you get too far ahead of yourself and think you might actually become Somebody Special. In Bruce Wilkinson's book, The Dream Giver, he calls those lead-balloon-tying folks, Bullies in the BorderLands. And in just the last couple days, God has urged me to remember what I read through this summer.

Ahead he saw the Wide Waters and the bridge to the Unknown. Between him and the bridge lay the BorderLand, an open stretch of flat ground. Ordinary was suprised to see, standing in the middle of the BorderLand, a few Nobodies from Familiar. One of the Nobodies, who looked more familiar than most, was hurrying toward him.
It was his Mother.
She rushed up and threw her arms around Ordinary. "Oh Ordie!" she cried. "My Baby! Thank goodness we got here in time! You mustn't go on!" she said. "I was so alarmed when I heard you were leaving Familiar! I know you told us that you were, but I never thought you would. Honestly, what are you thinking? It's not safe! You could get hurt. You could even die!"

"But it's my Big Dream, Mother!" said Ordinary. "It's a wonderful Dream and I want to pursue it."

He tried to reassure his Mother. He told her that as Big Dreams go, his was only a little life threatening. But this seemed to alarm his Mother more than ever. As they walked across the BorderLand, Ordinary spotted his Uncle and Best Friend.
Ordinary's Uncle strode up first. "So, you've decided to become a Dreamer." he said accusingly. "Do you realize that you are going completely against every tradition in this family? Why should you become a Somebody when the rest of us have always been happy being Nobodies?"

Before Ordinary could reply, Best Friend stepped in. "I was worried before, Ordinary," he said gravely, "but the more I've thought about it, the more convinced I am that you can't succeed at this. I can't stand by and watch you go down in defeat!"

Ordinary was speechless and bewildered. He'd heard a rumor about Border Bullies. But he had supposed that if it were true, Bullies would be Nobodies he didn't know. He never imagined they'd be some of the Nobodies who knew him best!

Now his Mother, Uncle, and Best Friend all stood silently before him, blocking his view of the bridge to his Big Dream. How would he ever get past them? Should he even try? He needed time to think.

He asked his Bullies to wait for him. Then he walked alone down to the water's edge, where he sat on a large rock.

Looking out over the Wide Waters, Ordinary thought and thought. He thought until he began to think that maybe his Bullies were right. Maybe he was wrong to pursue his Dream.

Then Ordinary heard a voice call his name. When he turned to see who it was, he recognized a Somebody. It was Champion, an old friend from Familiar who used to be a Nobody.

"Champion!" exclaimed Ordinary. "What are you doing here?"

Champion sat down on the rock beside him. "When I heard you had a become a Dreamer, I just had to come," he said. "I knew you'd need help."

"Thanks," said Ordinary with a heavy sigh. "But did you see all my Bullies?"

"I saw them," said Champion. "They're Bullies, all right. But think of me as your Border Buster. I want to help you break through their opposition."

Then Champion helped Ordinary understand what was happening. "Your Mother, Uncle, and Best Friend are only doing what's natural," he said. "When you left your Comfort Zone, you really shook up theirs. Each of them has something to lose if you go forward."

"That makes sense," said Ordinary. "But what do I do now? How do I get all my Bullies on my side?"

"Well, you might not be able to. Wisdom is the key. Try to understand what's motivating them. Look for the merit of their concerns. Some Bullies you need to simply dismiss or avoid. But most Border Bullies have concerns that can help you clarify your plans. That's how a Dreamer turns opposition into opportunity."

When Champion stood to leave, he said, "Hold fast to your Dream, Ordinary. You're going to be a Somebody someday. I just know it!"
Then he shook Ordinary's hand and jumped down from the rock. "Remember," he said, "when Bullies try to block your way, what matters most is who you choose to please!"


Substitute the names of the Bullies in this account and sadly, the story rings far truer than I'd like to admit. I know I am not alone in this tangled mess of duty and calling. There are many of us struggling with family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and even strangers {which are far more easily dismissed, but still wounding in their own selfish way} who would choose to speak over us and our dreams words of death. Yes, death.

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Prov. 18:21

Our words weigh out so much emotion and coming from those that we love the most, hold all the more power. Choosing to speak words of life or death over a dream revealed creates an immediate impact that for some, or maybe just me, ripples on throughout my entire dream journey. It is harder to find the courage I need when I have nothing but echoes of doubt and death ringing off the canyons of my heart. But still, The Dreamer Giver calls me to face obstacles knowing He will equip, and He will sustain, and He will not let my foot slip.


So, why is it that those we love the most give us the least amount of joy for the journey?

How I long for just once the questions and doubts to cease and for arms of JOY and LOVE to wrap around my dreams while cheering me on to fulfill all that God has created me to be.

Just once, for someone to say, YOU CAN DO IT! knowing they will be standing with me and more than that running alongside me. Yes, running! All the way to that ultimate Finish Line waiting with arms wide-open to catch me up as I fall through the tape of destiny, and champion me for all that God has brought me through.



Just once to have my dreams met with anticipation and eager excitement.

Just once to know I have their immediate blessing without first undergoing a trial with me on the witness stand answering question after question and defending my faith.

Just once to feel the compassionate embrace of a supporter who comes from my land of Familiar and who wants nothing more than to see me succeed in this painful thing we call life.

Just once to be sought out and favored.

Just once to have my words linger in the air long enough for all to savor their meaning.

Just once to be given the credit of courageous or brave in light of all that my soul has endured.

Just once to look up and meet eyes of understanding and hear words of heartfelt compassion.

Just once to be held in esteem, not higher than myself, but as myself, a child of God who believes she is LOVED and ABLE to accomplish ALL that He has asked of her.

Just once to have the dreams He has given to me - believed.

Just once.

Despite the unbelief around us, there remains ONE who not only believes in me, but knows the outcome of all my life's dreams. He is The Dream Giver, the LORD Almighty.

The LORD will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the LORD. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing. Isaiah 51:3
How my heart longs to hear the sound of thanksgiving and singing! Joy and gladness! May it be unto me LORD as you have spoken!




Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so very proud of you for being faithful to God's calling on your life. Sweet baby George is thankful too:) When God gives us the "peace that passes all understanding" it is truly hard for others to comprehend. Everyones call is different and who are we to say what is right for another!
Praying for the process to proceed smoothly, and for baby George to be in your home sooner rather than later.
blessings, tia